Sunday, May 25, 2008

Bank of America Sucks Assholes

I am a victim, once again, of Bank of America's wrath. Three overdraft charges on three items. Three items that, respectively, cost approximately $3, $8, and $10; the items were bought in this order. I had about $9 in my account. Obviously I did not have enough to cover all the items, but did have enough to cover either of the first two that I bought. Bank of America charged my account in this order; $10, $8, $3 so that I would receive the greatest penalty, $105.

$35 for each item. $105 fine for going over approximately $12. An almost 1000% fine.

Imagine I overdrafted by $900 and received the same penalty. That would be a $9,000 fine. But there is no such fine. In reality, my overdraft fee would be for $35.

These fines are not geared at the big spenders, those who always have money in their accounts and make big purchases. No, because the more money an account has, the more money Bank of America can lend to others to make more money. Understandably, Bank of America prefers these customers, but at the same time penalizes those who hover near balance zero and who make small purchases, often.

But who falls into these categories? Who hovers near the balance zero, struggling paychek to paycheck? Who is most liable to incur these fees? Who is most hurt by these fees?

Working full-time, 40 hrs a week...

If I made $7 an hour, a $105 fine would be over 33% of my paycheck pre-taxes.

If I made $30 an hour, a $105 fine would be approximately 8% of my paycheck, pre-taxes.

If I made $50 an hour...about 5%


.....

No comments: